Giveaway closed. Congrats Patti Masters who decided on the rocketship lunch set for her son who starts school next year! Thank you to all who participated.
I have been packing lunches since I can remember. I’m pretty sure my parents started me doing this task at a young age because they were sick of doing it themselves! Can’t say I blame them. However, if you asked them now, I’m confidant they would say it was more about teaching my sister and I responsibility, and less about passing off the daunting daily task. As a mother of two, I’ve got a hunch it was a bit of both. So when Bay Area based, PlanetBox reached out to me for a collaboration (Giveaway details at bottom of post), I was thrilled to try their product. I’d met friends at the park whose children were using PlanetBox, and I’d always liked that they were functional and eco-friendly. When our package arrived and we opened it, Audrey was super excited about the magnets, and that the lunch box looked like it was for Astronauts. Already, it had the “cool” factor.
We agreed to test the product out together. So the results of this review are from both mom and child. Before I list the reasons why, let me just say, we love PlanetBox!!! Not only did it replace plastic baggies, and plastic boxes, it inspired us to rethink the way we make lunches. I think y’all know food is a big deal at our house. Cooking, eating, trying new recipe’s –> it’s all about building memories in the kitchen. I want my children to enjoy trying new foods, and sometimes that can be a struggle. The fact that I can say this product has encouraged my daughter to help make her own lunch and explore new foods is a win in my book! So here are our top 5 reasons we recommend PlanetBox.
- Super easy to clean – Great for busy parent’s. Regardless if I clean the lunch box right after lunch or hours later, everything comes off easily with hot soapy water. Even better, it’s dishwasher safe and comes out looking super shiny after each wash. No more wondering is this really dishwasher safe? Am I exposing my kids to harmful chemicals? BPA safe?
- Eco-friendly – I have tried the reusable fabric baggies, and other eco-friendly products, but nothing stuck. The reusable bags fell apart, started to smell (even after washing), and food was easily smashed. I still found myself using plastic. Not good. With PlanetBox you can cut your plastic usage down tremendously. As adults we know the power of going green, and the importance of caring for our planet, but teaching our children to embrace these habits at a young age is not only mindful, but crucial for their future environment.
- Kids love it – Because of the magnets and compartments, kids are thrilled about making their lunches. They want to get involved. Here is my mommy tip for the first few times you use the lunch box –> Put out several bowls of different healthy foods, and let your children fill the various compartments. Get them excited and provide options that they get to choose from. This teaches them how to use the lunch box, and also encourages the act of trying new foods. My daughter loves coming up with new ideas to fill each compartment, and how they are all different sizes. Bonus – The cute little treat spot in the middle!
- Longevity – These lunch boxes are more expensive than some of the other options on the market, but they are built to last. You will save money by not replacing cheaper lunch boxes every year. Plus, I like that it’s one large container to open instead of a bunch of little containers, which can add up in cost. The magnets can easily be removed or changed out for older children, so the product can grow with your family.
- Multipurpose use – It’s not just for kids. It’s perfect for adults. The individual compartments and containers are great for keeping portions in check, and I love the outside compartments of the bag for carrying additional items. It makes the perfect travel caddy for flights, trains, car rides, and picnics.
Winner will receive one PlanetBox Rover set ($70 value) in their choice of color/design shown below. We will choose one winner after 3/23/16. Good luck! (US ONLY PLEASE)